Re: Requirements for specifying dependencies on libraries

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 07:53:40PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I agree with this.  If you step back from perl, and think of having a
> configure.ac, you'd end up with code to run pkg-config and find at least
> some version of some library.  So I would try to wrap the pkg-config
> semantics into perl.

Coincidentally, if you want to write pkgconfig semantics into perl,
in OpenBSD, we got fed up of the glib2<->pkgconfig build loop, and we
rewrote a clone of pkgconfig in perl... I know it doesn't help the other
systems which removed perl from the base system, but in a perl context, that
could be very helpful.

Heck, it's even removably clean, with all the code in a module, so it
should be fairly easy to integrate into a pure perl build system...