Re: pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install on OpenBSD/amd64

From: Greg Troxel <>, Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 10:14:07

> Ryo ONODERA <> writes:
>>> OpenBSD/amd64's "uname -p" and "uname -m" returns "amd64".
>>> And /usr/include/machine/param.h has following lines.
>>> #define MACHINE_ARCH    "amd64"
>>> It results pkg_add command is configured for amd64 not x86_64.
> I think the real issue is lack of standard values for -p and -m.  As I
> understand it, -p is for processor, and should be x86_64, whereas -m is
> for machine and should be amd64, at least in the BSD world.  At least
> that's what NetBSD does.
> So I would be inclined to have the code in pkgsrc and tools that obtains
> "uname -p" output change amd64 to x86_64, and have that be a general
> subsitution framework.  The other alternative is to put in amd64 as an
> alias in he code that uses the uname -p values.

I think that the problem is in /usr/include/machine/param.h, not in output
of uname.
It has
#define MACHINE_ARCH "amd64"
MACHINE_ARCH macro is used in bmake and pkg_install.
Doing sed -e 's/amd64/x86_64/' for output of uname is easy,
for example,, config.guess etc.
But it does not effect to MACHINE_ARCH macro.

How to substitute MACHINE_ARCH macro with another value?

PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3