Re: pkgsrc frozen as of now

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 12:31:51PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Ignatios Souvatzis <is%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > For lang/erlang 2013Q3 on NetBSD-5.1.2/arm (gcc is 4.1.3) I need
> >
> > CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --disable-native-ethr-impls
> >
> > (make test finished successfully a few minutes ago).
> >
> > I think the same problem applies to 2013Q4-to-be.
> >
> > Note that this is upstream policy:
> >
> > https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/46#issuecomment-21719585
> >
> > so I suggest we identify the port/OS combinations where this is
> > a probem, and add the configure line for them.
> >
> > (I think all but i386, x86_64, sparc (which is v9), powerpc, mips)
>
> I think what you are proposing to do is to have a .if on
> OPSYS/version/arch and pass that CONFIGURE_ARGS if any of a list match.
> Thus there would be no change on any system not matched, and presumably
> the matching systems wouldn't have built, and thus no need for
> PKGREVISION++.   So there's no reason you can't go ahead and make the
> change (although as always, sooner is better than later during freeze).

Ok, thanks.

> (It strikes me as broken to have to detect and add flags, rather than
> upstream's configure compiling test programs, but I don't understand the
> details.)

The reason is that this is touching a central part of Erlang dogma:
all synchronization is by communication; the only part that needs
locking & friends at all is the run-time, but that one has ot be
correct.

So they're opting to make this new code user-(well, admin) selectable.
We really should move it to an pkg option, and offer it depending on
machine/os; but I won't do *that* at freeze time. Too much code.

Regards
        -is