Re: Removing packages without DESTDIR support

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 05:02:49PM +0200, Krister Walfridsson wrote:
 > > I think what needs to be done is to create a bootstrap-ghc package
 > > that builds bootstrap kits using the installed ghc, and modify the ghc
 > > package to use that bootstrap kit. Then the package can be updated to
 > > a reasonably recent version one step at a time. Then we can try to
 > > figure out how to produce and maintain bootstrap kits for more than
 > > just i386, probably by generating a different cross-compiling
 > > bootstrap kit that can be used to produce bootstrap kits for other
 > > platforms. Or something like that.
 >
 > I had partial success with bootstrapping ghc by using nhc98 a while
 > back, but that experiment stopped by a hard disk crash...  I have been
 > meaning to do try this again, but had not had the time... :(

If I can get nhc to run on amd64 that would be faster than updating
ghc one at a time through so many versions. Depending on how well it
worked.

 > Btw. does recent ghc work well on NetBSD?  It failed a large amount of
 > tests in the ghc testsuite last time I tried. And it mis-compiled
 > darcs...

I have no idea, I'm using the ancient pkgsrc version in an i386 chroot.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost