Re: PKGSRC_SETENV?= ${SETENV} -i

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> wrote:

> There exists a lot of use cases where environment variables simplify
> interaction with pkgsrc a lot. Clearing the whole environment makes all
> of those much harder for a minimal gain. Blindly stripping environment
> under pretense that users put garbage into there is wrong way to address
> the real problem which, I think, is unsetting a couple of variables
> that select cross-compilation mode in GNU configure.

I don't agree. pkgsrc has a goal to isolate builds from their
surroundings, and goes to a great deal of trouble to do so. For a
system with buildlink and the wrappers, it's internally consistent to
clear environment variables as well.

As users of pkgsrc, we can't always be sure what effect our
environment settings may have on builds. So I don't see how we can
reasonably make ourselves responsible for not screwing it up. Perhaps
there are environment variables that a user really wants to pass
through. If it turns out that real people have real problems with
this, we can easily make it configurable. In either case, we finally
have the right default.