Re: PKGSRC_PHASE

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 03:10:15PM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> It is sometimes useful to know from what "phase" (configure/build/install)
> a given command is executed.  For example cc wrappers can behave differently
> depending on the phase.
>
> I believe this change is harmless to anyone.

It's a nice idea. I do wonder...

Can't we just use the information which PKG_DEBUG_LEVEL={1,2} returns
to get this (and waaaaay more)?

Also...  it looks like you are setting the phase in the environments
explicitly, and I'm unsure how benign this is - the phase is already
set in the infrastructure, so I'm interested to know why you need this
information to be set like this.  It would appear to be overkill and
duplication.

The phase is easily deduced from the target - so setting it explicitly
is unnecessary

We have had the phased workings for about 6 or 7 years now, so what's
changed that it's necessary for you to take these steps?

Best wishes,
Alistair