Re: pbulk using tmpfs

   Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 00:10:01 +0000
   From: Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-kern%mumble.net@localhost>

      Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 01:12:06 +0200 (CEST)
      From: iMil <imil%home.imil.net@localhost>

      I've just witnessed it with a couple of packages:

      multimedia/vlc:

         CC       input/libvlccore_la-stream_memory.lo
      /scratch/multimedia/vlc/work/.wrapper/bin/gcc: Cannot fork
      /scratch/multimedia/vlc/work/.wrapper/tmp/logic: Cannot fork
      /usr/pkg/bin/libtool: Cannot fork

      I guess I'm too short in memory to play that game :)

   You probably need to bump the maxproc ulimit (ulimit -p).  The default
   soft limit is ridiculously low for modern machines, and does not scale
   with the available RAM as it probably ought to.  I set it to 1044, the
   default hard limit.

...that is, assuming you are doing a highly parallel (high MAKE_JOBS
or many pbulk slaves) build.  If not, it is curious that the failure
should manifest in fork in particular and not in a variety of ways or
in a way that is obviously related to memory exhaustion.