Re: package using fmt -w

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:34:50PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:35:27 +0200
> Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I'd look at things a bit differently.
> >
> > Heirloom's fmt(1) says:
> >
> > > -w width   Set the length of generated output lines to width
> > > characters.
> >
> > while NetBSD's says:
> >
> > >    -g goal
> > >           New way to set the goal length.
> > >
> > >    -m maximum
> > >           New way to set the maximum length.
> >
> > so they both do the same job.
> >
> > You just have to work out which version of fmt(1) is being run.
>
> I take it your suggestion is to rewrite the configure script (and
> everywhere else fmt is used)?

That would be one way - another would be to write a wrapper script
which called /usr/bin/fmt accordingly.  You could also have a shell
variable with the arg name in it.

I'm just saying that fmt's job is to format multi-lined text, relying
on another package to do that, merely because of an invocation
argument, seems a bit extreme.

Regards,
Alistair