Re: cvs import -> cvs add

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 03:36:40PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> AFAIK, we use 'cvs import' for adding new packages since at the
> beginning of pkgsrc, the first packages came from FreeBSD ports and
> the idea was to sync them from there regularly. This never happened.

Not really - the very first pkgsrc entries were added using 'cvs add'.
However, in those days there were more subdirs than we have now (a
pkg/ directory to house PLIST and friends), and it became difficult to
add packages easily in one go.  Also, we had complaints that we were
spamming the source-changes list, so we got our own pkgsrc-changes
list, but the volume of "added directory wibble" traffic was still too
large - and I think this is before Charles took aim at the cvs log
message accumulator and made it useful.

> Since 'cvs import' is much more error-prone than 'cvs add' and doesn't
> provide any additional features we need, I suggest we switch to using
> 'cvs add'.

I'd like to keep it so that people can do both - import or add - since
I do find it much easier to import packages in one fell swoop rather
than going at it a directory at a time.

In other words - I'm not sure there's anything broken about cvs import,
so why fix it?

Regards,
Alistair

PS.  For those of us who like doing adds, I've found that a cvs add of
a directory, followed by a cvs up -d of the same directory is enough
to create the CVS subdir and allow the directory to be used.  I
remember talking to tv about this, and it didn't seem common
knowledge, so mentioned for completeness.