Re: Packages with non-distributable distfiles

Aleksej Saushev <asau%inbox.ru@localhost> writes:

> John Marino <netbsd%marino.st@localhost> writes:

>>> No, it isn't. It does build package. Get the distfile and might build it.
>>

>> I'm sorry, I'm going to continue to believe that packages that
>> require distfiles that are illegal to obtain have no place in a
>> package system that serves open source operating systems.
>
> You may believe it, but your beliefs should not impede others.
> We're not GNU, and this world still has IP laws. Some software has to be
> bought (licensed) in order to be used, and there's significant number of
> users who don't see anything wrong with it.
>
> Some countries are even that strict that deny what is considered "fair use,"
> and thus you have to break the law if you want to use some software.

In my view, the real issue isn't a purist position about copyright law.
I don't think anyone is objecting to packages that need a distfile that
you have to buy a license to obtain.  We're talking, I think, about
packages with ancient distfiles (that can't legally be copied) and are
no longer obtainable from the original sources.  That just feels like
clutter.