Re: History of gnome-power-manager? and gnome/glib2 version separation?

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 4:43 AM, John Marino <netbsd%marino.st@localhost> wrote:
> sysutils/gnome-power-manager doesn't build due to recent glib2 update.
> However, looking more closely, it's still (intentionally) on version 2.24
> while the rest of gnome is on 2.26.  The gnome metapkg also has 2.26
> commented out without documenting why.
>
> So first, does anybody know why?

I don't know about this particular case but:

Every time I performed Gnome updates in the past, some component
stopped working because they kept introducing more and more
dependencies on Linux-only APIs.  At that point during the upgrade,
the trade-off was either leaving the component at an older version and
updating the rest of Gnome to the latest release, or not being able to
do either.  My guess is that, at this point, updating Gnome to any
newer release is pretty much impossible due to their dependencies on
Linux -- or maybe it's possible but too many things would stop
working.

It'd also be that nobody has had the energy to update the packages.
But that, I don't know.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv