Checking for missing run-time search paths inconsistent?

I was surprised to see www/aws on the netbsd "doesn't build" list.
The reason is bad rpaths, which I confirmed is correct.

The problem is that I'm not getting the same error with PKG_DEVELOPER=yes.
I even built it and installed it outside the chroot with PKG_DEVELOPER=yes and
it passed.  However using readelf confirmed that DragonFly builds it with bad
rpaths too.

Why would rpath report this inconsistently?  I confirmed the value of WRKDIR
was embedded in the rpath, so it should have caught it.  www/aws is happy
passing on DragonFly builds, both Tinderbox and pbulk.