Re: long-broken packages (some are removal candidates)

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, David Holland wrote:
mbone/vic-devel

This has been broken on its x264 codec for ages. It is not clear to me
that this package has much value.

I think it has value as it's the only version that has x264 and Video4Linux support. I must admit, I'd forgotten about it and assumed it was still Just Working. I'll see if I can find time to update/fix it.

In the long term, AccessGrid 3 is probably the way to go (http://www.accessgrid.org/), but we don't have it yet.

multimedia/vlc08

Has not built in ages (does not like current or anything like current
ffmpeg) and is an ancient version; there are three newer versions of
vlc in pkgsrc. There does not appear to be anything using it any more,
so it's probably time for it to go.

I use this as it is the last WxWidgets, non-Qt version available and I find it useful for embedded projects. I admit I keep an old ffmpeg around to build it with.

--
Stephen