Re: catman in pkgsrc

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:19:33PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> What is the reason why installation of cat man pages are disabled so
> aggressively in pkgsrc?

They often serve no purpose, aren't provided consistently and require
special tools to prepare.

> Interix's man(1) only display cat man pages, but I cannot find catman
> (or alternatives) in pkgsrc.

A good part of the logic for writing catman can be found in
obsolete_catpages() in NetBSD's postinstall. Instead of removing the
entry, calling "mandoc $mandir/$manpage > $catname" should be good
enough. A bit more work is needed to remember all cat pages checked and
to remove remaining ones, but that's left as exercise for the reader :)

Joerg