Re: boost-mpi package

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:34:52AM -0700, Brook Milligan wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:55:50 +0100
> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
> > The usual solutions is to modify the Makefiles of the package so that
> > boost-mpi links against Boost.Serialization from ${PREFIX} instead of
> > building it (again).
>
> Of course, boost uses bjam so this is a little tricky.

Annoying.

> However, I think the correct solution is to add an option to the boost
> packages specifying whether or not to include MPI support.  In this
> way, the boost-libs package can be customized either way depending on
> the option setting.  I have included a patch below that illustrates how
> this would work and will commit this after a bit if there are no
> further comments or better ideas.

I still think that splitting it in multiple packages is the correct
solution. When building for ftp.netbsd.org, we can only choose mpi or
not-mpi with the solution you suggest, at build time. With split
packages, binary packages exist for both options and the user can
decide.

> Note that although adding MPI support to boost also brings in the
> parallel graph library, I think calling the option 'mpi' rather than
> 'parallel-graph' makes sense as it is more general (Boost.MPI may be
> used without the graph code) and anyone working with the parallel graph
> library will understand that MPI is necessary.  Thoughts?

I don't care much about what's it called. If you stay with this option
against my suggestion, then think hard if it would be better to enable
the option by default or not.

> +
> +# XXX - must follow bsd.pkg.mk because this is added to the end of the list
> +PLIST_SRC+=  ${PLIST_MPI}

Just set it manually:
PLIST_SRC= ${.CURDIR}/PLIST
before including bsd.pkg.mk and also add ${PLIST_MPI} to it if necessary.
 Thomas