Re: pkg_tarup inclusion in pkg_create

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 03:30:54AM +0100, Julian Fagir wrote:
> in the pkg_tarup comments you can read somebody proposing the integration of
> pkg_tarup to pkg_admin. pkg_admin is not suited for that, but pkg_create is,
> as it is the tool behind pkg_tarup.
> I'm not much into the whole packaging thing, but I need this functionality, so
> I numbly took over all the functionality of pkg_tarup to pkg_admin.

I am against this. pkg_tarup is essentially a hack for not keeping
binary packages around. The DESTDIR support removed most reasons for
doing modifications to the file system without safety belts and can also
make sure that such a binary package is always around. More importantly,
there are a number of cases where pkg_add $foo followed by pkg_tarup
will not create the same state.

Joerg