Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/xzgv

On 12/31/2011 1:51 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> What's the real impact?  slightly slower startup time?  Is it even
>> perceptible?
>
> The important part is that it is a *useless* change. There is absolute
> nothing wrong with indirect symbols.

The magnitude of the impact of the change is relevant.  Obviously these
last two sentences are a matter of opinion, and yours differs from the
authors of binutils.  If the practical impact of eliminating indirect
symbols is zero, but lets packages remain buildable on new binutils
linkers, then why crusade against it?

>> Otherwise you're basically advocating that all platforms of pkgsrc
>> either stick to binutils 2.21 or less forever, or that they patch
>> gold/ld version 2.22+ to behave as before.  I don't think such an
>> artificial restriction is desirable.
>
> Somehow I don't see that as a strict requirement. Heck, I would consider
> it worth filling a bug report in binutils...

Considering big Linux distributions are adapting to this new behavior, I
doubt any such PR would result in something other than "wontfix".

John