Re: pkg_install in base system again

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 08:24:56AM -0500, matthew sporleder wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:17 AM, David Holland
> <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 01:09:14PM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> >  > > Or you could set $PATH correctly...
> >  >
> >  > If we have to explicitely skip outdated and buggy
> >  > pkg_* tools in base, what is the reason to have it in base then?
> >
> > So it works out of the box? To avoid having to bootstrap (an extra
> > step that people won't necessarily understand)? To avoid having to
> > bootstrap so that afterwards you have to remember that /usr/bin/make
> > and /usr/pkg/bin/bmake are different and never accidentally mix them
> > up?

It doesn't work out of the box on any NetBSD release. This was not about
requiring a full bootstrap either.

> Isn't the real problem here an inability to update this part of the
> base system sanely?

Some people are not even willing to update the base system to the head
of the release branch. Which makes this discussion essentially mood.

> Shouldn't pkg_install, at least, be able to upgrade itself?

It is not a package, if it was a package, we wouldn't have this
discussion.

Joerg