Re: pkg_install in base system again

On 6 November 2011 18:04, Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov%tut.by@localhost> wrote:
>  >> Without arguments pkg_setup downloads the package from
>  >> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/$OPSYS/$ARCH/$OSVER.
>
>> Can we create a "pkg" set that sysinst optionally installs and run the
>> pkgdb update command automatically if that set is selected?
>
> I have no strong opinion here but I think running pkg_setup
> is a trivial operation. I don't see reasons for additional set
> and modifying sysinst. At least for now.
> Also idea is to always use a recent version of pkg_install.

Whatever change is made I think it is important that sysinst should
default to a working
set of pkg_install tools, whether that is running pkg_setup or via
some other mechanism.

>> How do we handle transition from builtin pkg_add on older versions of NetBSD
>> to the new state (when doint a sysinst upgrade)?
>
> - reconfigure bulk builds for all suported NetBSD to use
>  pkg_install from /usr/pkg/sbin instead of /usr/sbin.
>
> - reimplement /usr/sbin/pkg_* tools as
>
>  #!/bin/sh
>  /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_xxx "$@"
>
>  in netbsd-{4,5,5-1} branches and make minor releases.

Maybe that could be adjusted to check for the target is /usr/pkg/sbin
and suggest running pkg_setup if not present?

Would there be any sense in providing an option to pkg_setup to
download and extract pkgsrc, and then run bootstrap - to provide an
option for users of -current and potentially other platforms, and for
anyone else who wants to build from src...