Re: File system capabilities check in bootstrap script

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 09:26:24PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now, On Interix, bootstrap will die without case-sensitive filesystem
> without --ignore-case-check option.
> I feel there is no reason to do even for Interix (and not for Darwin),
> so it should be killed.
>
> But I saw (but not remember) that some package changes its behavior
> depending on whether filesystem is case sensitive or not.
> So it may be nice that keep case-check and just record the result
> in mk.conf (like CASE_SENSITIVE_FILESYSTEM=no).
> And I know BeFS used by Haiku have lack of hard link support,
> so it also possible to be checked and recorded.
>
> Any comments and suggestions?

There are some packages which will fail to build on case-insensitive
file systems, despite the fact that the pkgsrc infrastructure and
hierarchy has been modified to deal with such sins.

I do remember one where "make install" went into ${WRKSRC} and
found a file called "Install" there and got confused.

Maybe a PKG_CASE_SENSITIVE=yes in the package's Makefile, when they
are found, would help us weed out the stragglers?

I agree, though, no reason to die for lack of case-sensitivity these
days.

Best,
Alistair