Re: pkgsrc/licenses

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 05:45:16AM +0900, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
>> I want to import font packages to pkgsrc.
>> See wip/konatu-ttf and wip/ricty-ttf.
>>
>> These fonts are released under licenses that is not registered
>> in pkgsrc/licenses directory.
>>
>> konatu-ttf is released under Creative Commons
>> Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ .
>> Can I add this CC BY-SA 3.0 unported license to pkgsrc/licenses?
>> CC has many variation, CC {BY|BY-ND|BY-SA|BY-NC|BY-NC-ND|BY-NA-SA}
>> {1.0|2.0|2.5|3.0} {Unported|Generic|English|Japanese|...} and so on.
>
> I don't see a better way than adding them (when we need them).
>
> For this one, it doesn't seem worse than GPL, so we can probably add
> it to the default allowed licenses. Greg?

It's certainly fine to add CC licenses as needed.

We have been careful not to get into the business of deciding if
licenses are free enough, and have a "can be in default if approved by
OSI or FSF".

I would be ok with adding some CC licenses to the default acceptable
list.

BY and SA seem obviously ok.
NC is fairly obviously not ok
ND is not obvious; it seems not ok.

Has any free software umbrella organization issued opinions on whether
the various cc licenses are Free or Open Source?

>> eicty-ttf is released under licenses that are already registered in
>> pkgsrc/licenses (ipafont and open-font-license), and M+ font license.
>> You can read M+ font license in
>> http://mplus-fonts.sourceforge.jp/mplus-outline-fonts/index-en.html#license .
>> Can I identify this license as other license that is already registered
>> in pkgsrc/licenses? Or can I add this to pkgsrc/licenses?
>
> It's very minimal. I like it ;)
> I don't think it exists already, add it, and also to the default
> allowed (in mk/ and pkgtools/pkg_install).

If the license differs in name of copyright holder and
whitespace/etc. only, it's the same license.

I think we need to have some guidelines before adding licenses not
recognized as free/open to the default list.