Fwd: Chaging uid/gid at binary install

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 16:08, Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi%tombi.co.jp@localhost>
wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:14:17 +0900, Masao Uebayashi
>> <uebayasi%tombi.co.jp@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> >OpenBSD Ports has this:
>> >
>> >http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/infrastructure/db/user.list

> Can we provide a pre-defined pkgsrc username/UID "range"?

This is a very good idea. This variable could be set in mk.conf.

Additionally, how about a user.list like in OpenBSD ports, but with
_offsets_ relative to the range given? This way, at least the UIDs
depend only on the platform (ideally), not on the order in which the
packages were built and installed.

For example, if you have platform XY set a default range of, say,
20000-21000 and a user squid with offset +20 in user.list, binary
packages would be created with the user squid with uid 20020,
regardless of what other packages have been installed.

Comments?

--Benny.