Re: "doc" option

David Brownlee writes:
 > There seem to be two different issues in this thread. I think we
 > should consider them separately. Also there may be some options under
 > each which have not been considered:
 > a) Eliminating docs on systems with limited storage
 > b) Avoiding the cost of building building depends such as tex &
 > doxygen to generate docs for some packages

There might actually be a third use case:

c) Install only docs on some systems.  This is the flip side of a)
above.  For example, one might have a small system or a server that
has no direct need for docs and a client system, say from which the
server is managed, that has no direct need of the binaries but for
which the docs would be useful.

Cheers,
Brook