Re: "doc" option

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> There seem to be two different issues in this thread. I think we
> should consider them separately. Also there may be some options under
> each which have not been considered:
> a) Eliminating docs on systems with limited storage
> b) Avoiding the cost of building building depends such as tex &
> doxygen to generate docs for some packages

nice summary and agreed that these are separate issues

> 'a)' really feels like it should have an option patch to pkg_tools to
> exclude certain dirs on package generation or install. I would
> personally prefer install as it keeps the binary packages the same,
> though I could understand some would prefer otherwise.

That sounds like a good solution.  Aleksej - would that address your use
case?

> For 'b)' all of the options incur additional maintenance:
> 1) Split the package into a foo & foo-doc, built & generated at the
> same time. Very nice for binary users, doesn't help the main issue
> here for source.

True, and binary users could use method (a) if they don't want the docs,
and "build time pain" consideration doesn't apply to them.

> 2) Split the package into a foo & foo-doc, built as separate packages.
> Helps both binary & source. For certain packages it may end up being
> simplest to just build everything for both packages but only include
> docs & non docs in PLIST

If you don't refrain from doc building for the non-doc package, I don't
think we get the benefit.

> 3) Add 'doc' option to packages. Makes updates a little more fiddly
> and adds more binary package variants.

This could also be temporary until something better comes along.

> 4) Add a special pass when updating the package to build the docs &
> then tar & bzip them and put on ftp.netbsd.org. The checked in source
> build then pulls down the pre-generated docs & includes. Slightly more
> work on update but relatively simple automatable work (providing the
> package provides a 'build without docs' option). Could even be
> combined with '2)'.

An intriguing thought, but I wonder how hard that will really be by the
time it's fully satisfactory.  It feels like half-binary packages, or
some sort of distributed version of ccache for tex, or ?