Re: pkg/44062: Inconistencies in PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED

(pulling this out of PR 44062 where nobody will see it)

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 01:15:04AM +0000, OBATA Akio wrote:
 >  There are two issues to maintain PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED.
 >
 >  It is hard to determine whether:
 >  1) it came from the package itself, or dependency
 >  2) it means only accept those versions, or not accept others

Ideally each package's own PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED should reflect
only the properties of that package itself.

If we really need to know the transitive closure of accepted versions
across all dependencies, we can stuff logic into the buildlink files
to compute it automatically.

But I'm not sure there's any point; if you go to build py-foo with
python25 because it only accepts 25, and it depends on py-bar which
only accepts 26, no special logic is needed to make the build
fail. (But, see PR 42894 and related -- I'm assuing problems like that
will eventually get fixed.)

It wouldn't be too hard (I think, anyway) to extend things so that
PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED can explicitly blacklist versions; e.g. it
might contain "24 25 -26" to explicitly state that python26 is known
to not work. But I'm not convinced this really solves a real problem
either. When a new python version comes out we can always massedit all
PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED like this:

-PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=      24 25 26
+PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=      24 25 26 # 27?

to explicitly indicate that python27 might or might not work and
hasn't yet been checked.

(remainder of mail kept for tech-pkg's reference)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost