Re: MySQL default version

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:34:41PM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> I'd say just disable the innodb plugin, bet 50p that hardly anyone uses
> it.

Do you understand what the plugin does, i.e. why it chooses such a poor
way to implement mutices on it's own? Is it some binary compat issue?

If in doubt we could implement the missing atomic functions as software
emulation (like OpenSolaris does: create a shift count and mask, do a 32bit
CAS and hope nobody ever tries to use two adjacent bytes for concurrent
atomic ops) - but that is a can of worms where unwary software authors fell
into deep black bottomless pits (which would be the other explanation besides
binary compat).

Martin