Re: Patch name changes

On 10.6.2010, at 13:14, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to suggest that we change the names used for patches in
> pkgsrc.
> Currently, their names are patch-[a-z][a-z] where the names are more
> or less chosen randomly; when upgrading, usually care is taken to use
> the same patch name to modify the same file as before (mkpatches(1)
> from pkgtools/pkgdiff does that automatically).
>
> I suggest we starting from now on, we use the name
> patch-path_relative_to_wrksrc_filename instead, i.e. run the path of
> the name of the file to patch through
> and prefix "patch-".

Is there any reason why e.g. comma (or something else) couldn't be used in
place of slash in the file path, so that we could avoid problems when
'part/file' becomes 'part_file' and there is already 'part_file' in the
${WRKSRC}?

Otherwise, I entirely agree. I've been using this approach to break out 3rd
party one-lump patch files into LOCALPATCHES based patches.

-F