Re: buildlink3.mk, BUILD_DEPENDS and DEPENDS

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:11:40AM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>  >> Build dependencies caused by inclusion of buildlink3.mk files do
>  >> not alter BUILD_DEPENDS variable, only DEPENDS is affected.
>  >> Can anybody explain why?
>
> > Well, I don't think anybody can, considering it is not true.
> > BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD in a bl3.mk can be set to either full or build.
>
> > I'd expect that to be documented, but I don't care enough to check.  It
> > doesn't resist a grep for BUILD_DEPENDS in mk/buildlink3 anyway.
>
> BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.<pkg> is documented and works as expected.  The
> problem is that BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.<pkg>=full changes DEPENDS variable
> but not BUILD_DEPENDS (BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.<pkg>=build works fine). I
> meant that if it changed both DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS it'd be easier
> to optimize bulk builds (recursive rebuild due to change in non-library
> packages).

*sigh*, again, run-time dependencies are just assumed to also be build-
time dependencies in pkgsrc.

And it's even more the case with buildlink3 packages:  if they weren't
build-time dependencies, then there would be no need for a bl3.mk file.

Ever noticed "build" in "buildlink"?

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost