Re: Porting Pkgsrc to Minix

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:33:25PM +0530, Gautam B.T. wrote:
> > I would actually advice *against* doing that. It creates more problems
> > than it really fixes. What DragonFly is doing in contrast to NetBSD is
> > to basically ship a pre-bootstrapped system. Including working versions
> > of many of the core tools is fine, but pkg_install is quite likely to
> > create issues on the next round of changes that with forward
> > compatibility.
> >

>  Are you advising against adding pkgsrc as a program to the base system or
> against shipping a pre-bootstrapped version? Also what kind of changes are
> being planned?

I would recomment against importing at least pkg_install. Some of the
programs that are normally pulled in as dependencies like pax or bsdtar
are useful to have for normal operation and don't change that often.
So my recommendation is to run the bootstrap as part of the release
builds or however Minux is normally distributed and keep it a weak
binding that way.

Joerg