USE_BUILTIN.wibble questions

All,

upgrading pkgsrc on a netbsd-1-5 installation, I was able to build
pkg_install with the patches I sent to Jörg, but got a

# /usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_admin fetch-pkg-vulnerabilities
pkg_admin: inflateInit failed
#

from pkg_admin. I figured that the built-in zlib 1.1.4 might be too old,
and set a "USE_BUILTIN.zlib = no". It looks like while pkg_install wants
zlib >> 1.1.4 (bzip2, maybe?), it doesn't say so.

Moving on from there, I was puzzled that at least a pkg_rolling-replace(8)
does not enforce building and installing the pkgsrc zlib. Same thing
happened with USE_BUILTIN.openssl=no, where a pkg_install build will
happily adapt openssl config paths, but will not enforce the openssl
package to be built and installed.

What automatisms there are in place to deal with version dependencies for
built-in libraries, and what do I have to provide manually, or through the
pkgsrc bootstrap process?

        hauke