Re: PRIVILEGED_STAGES vs. user builds

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:39:09 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger
> <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> Subject: Re: PRIVILEGED_STAGES vs. user builds
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:53:43AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > > Shouldn't unprivileged builds simple ignore "PRIVILEGED_STAGES"?
> >
> > IMO the whole concept of privileged clean stage should be removed.
>
> IIUC, and IIRC, this can only be done if those packages that write new
> files(?)/directories to (or otherwise change ownerships in) the work
> directory during the install stage.  I.e. files(?)/directories in the
> work directory end up being owned by root and cannot be "cleaned" by the
> unprivileged user.  Of course the correct thing is indeed to patch the
> offending packages not to mess in the work directory during install, but
> sometimes that's easier said than done.

That's exactly what it's for, but is also needed if 'USE_DESTDIR=yes' is
set and a package has 'PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT=destdir', in that case its
needed to delete '${WRKDIR}/.destdir'.

But I realized that there is no need to do a privileged clean if 'su' has
not been used...  so I came up with the idea of an 'su-cookie', the
attached patch dose this, any comments?

--
Steven
  1: Linux - will work for fish.