Re: CVS commit: src

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:24:56AM +0000, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
 > > > let's stop being too generic and go back to the change in question.
 > > > do you think this man page is an appropriate place for these functions?
 > >
 > > Given that they exist in several MD implementations and (I think) are
 > > more or less the same in at least some of those, yes, provided they're
 > > documented as a piece of internals.
 >
 > "some MD implementations might have this for their internal use"?
 > it sounds useless and confusing to me.

It has two legitimate audiences: (1) people bringing up new ports, who
may not already know the ins and outs of making MD spl handling go,
and who would be better off reading and understanding documentation
than blindly cutting and pasting existing logic; and also (2) anyone
looking to unify common MD code and make it MI.

I don't see that this is a bad thing, and I don't see that these
things change often enough to make updating such docs a maintenance
problem. So I don't see what the downside is.

 > > Of course, we could get rid of them and move to MI spl functions :-)
 > > (see tech-kern, ad@ just found the thread and thereby reminded me of it)
 >
 > we are discussing if we want to describe MD internal details in the
 > man page of MI spl interfaces.

However, if you have an opinion on that thread it'd be good to hear
it... there, of course :-)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost