bookmarks not working with firefox-3.5.6 on amd64

I'm seeing very odd behaviour with bookmarks on firefox 3.5.6, freshly built from recent pkgsrc. Adding bookmarks seems to fail most of the time, particularly after exiting and restarting firefox. As a test I move the profile directory aside, started a fresh firefox and then tried to create a bookmark folder and then add eight bookmarks into it. I ended up with the first three then the fourth one repeated five times.

Is anyone else seeing anything odd?

Information for firefox-3.5.6:

Built using:
sqlite3-3.6.21