Re: pkgsrc RC scripts

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 06:26:13PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:48:11PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am consider to make the RC script support in pkgsrc a bit more useful
> > out of the box with the following changes:
> >
> > (1) Install pkgsrc RC scripts by default into /etc/rc.pkg.d, not
> > /etc/rc.d and adjust the default value for rc_directories accordingly.
> > This keeps the logical separation between base and pkgsrc RC scripts
> > and still allows /usr (or /usr/pkg) to be on a separate filesystem.
>
> I don't like that - this messes up installing on shared /usr/pkg systems.

It isn't any worse than the current status.
Maybe i missed some arguments, but

What's the advantage of having the rc.d scripts of pkgsrc packages inside the root filesystem (either in /etc/rc.d or /etc/rc.pkg.d or ...) but not /usr/pkg (or $PREFIX) itself?

- o.k., rcorder only needs to run once, e.g. we do not have to weave in the rc scripts
 of pkgsrc packages at some stage of the boot process.

But on the other hand, the rc.d scripts from pkgsrc packages generally need executables from /usr/pkg (or $PREFIX, you know ...) so these scripts need some provisions for /usr/pkg (...) to be mounted when they're to be started (of course there are packages that want to do something early in the boot process without the requirement for /usr/pkg
to be mounted already).

But then it would still be early enough to know the rc scripts at the point in time when /usr/pkg is mounted. So a script, specifying at which point in time a package tree should be mounted should be enough. This would then be responsible to mix in the
rc scripts from that package tree.

Joachim

database 4482 (20091005) __________

http://www.eset.com