Re: pkgsrc RC scripts

On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 07:56:52PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:

That's not a desirable goal.
[...]
if pkgsrc wants to add a new user, the user name goes in /etc/passwd
(and /etc/master.passwd of course), not in /etc/pkgsrc-passwd or something
(with corresponding additions to the rest of the system so it can deal with
two password files).   We could do that to "keep a logical separation"
between users that are part of the base system, and others added by pkgsrc
(and then create yet another password for file locally added users, like me) but I don't see anyone suggesting that as the path to adopt (and a good thing
that they're not).
what about nis, ldap, dns then? nsswitch.conf(5) solves the problem for these
"databases", so there surely is a need for separation for some admins.

database 4480 (20091005) __________

http://www.eset.com