Re: compiler framework, fortran, libtool, and other headaches

> [...] which may or may not be entirely
> compatible with the libtool which is already installed.  At this point it
> seems to me that you're in a stuck place. You have to deinstall libtool,
> rebuild with the newer set of compilers and continue on.

libtool is only part of the problem. Assume you have an application
built with gcc4, which uses a shared library built with gcc3. As a
result you get an application linked to two different versions of
libgcc. I don't know if this is supposed to work, but I wouldn't trust
such a binary. I think in the situation you described, switching
completely and exclusively over to the newest compiler is the only
option, which may result in rebuilding lots of packages.

--
Joern Clausen
http://thebloeg.blogspot.com/