Re: Naming restrictions for Solaris packages

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 05:51:45PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> Joerg asked me to post the rules for naming Solaris packages.

Thanks.

>    * The name must be no longer than 32 characters (though some
>      documentation says that the limit is 9 chars);

This currently affects 221 package names.

>    * first char must be alphabetic;

15

>    * some documentation says that all other chars must be alphanumeric,
>      but in practice "-" is allowed, while "_" is NOT allowed;
>      I haven't tried any other non-alphanumeric characters.

251 include something other than alpha numeric, hyphen or period.

I don't have the full meta to check how many of those have SRV4_PKGNAME
set, but I would be surprised if many do. I'd suggest to drop that
variable and instead maintain a prefix transformation table directly
in gensolpkg for those cases that matter. Comments?

Joerg