pkg_install package is old

I just tried to install a package on a NetBSD-5 machine and ran into
a few minor issues.  Since I don't have much time to actually look into
doing something about this now, I'm taking the time honorored approach
of just complaining about them :)

The version of the pre-built pkg_install tarball is 20090406.  This is
pretty old.  Is anyone going to update this?

The pre-built pkg_install version is older than the PKGTOOLS_REQD version
(20090528), which makes the lack of an updated tarball more annoying
since that means I _have_ to build it myself. :(

Trying to install non-redistibutable packages is a pain, especially if
I don't want to sit around waiting for things to build from source.
What I've been doing is manually installing them:
        make show-depends-dirs
        for each of those
                pkg_add $dependent_pkg (or pkg_add -u)
        finally, do a make install
It seems that there must be a better way.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to run "pkg_add ns-flash" (or any other
non-distributable package), and have it:
  notice that there's no binary package
  grab the Makefile, distinfo, etc... from pkgsrc (w/o downloading
    the whole thing!)
  install binary packages for any dependencies
  fetch, build and install

eric