Re: amanda: expressing defaults again in Makefile?

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:51:54PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I am needing amanda on a small-memory sparc, and am thus newly motivated
>> to make the default packages acceptable to me.  I am taking a cleanup
>> pass on the packages, and noticed that AMANDA_{USER,TMP,VAR} are in
>> /usr/pkgsrc/mk/default/mk.conf.  I am guessing that they should
>> therefore not be defined in the makefile, and have the following patch.
>> OK to commit, or am I confused?
>
> Stupid question, why is this user called backup at all? I think the

Separate issue; I was going to change it to 'amanda'.

> defaults should also be in the package Makefile(.common) and not
> defaults/mk.conf, given that we now all tag them with BUILD_DEFS.
> Please give others a chance to comment on that first though.

That would be ok with me, but I'm not sure on the norms here.

>> Barring objections, I will also be making AMANDA_FQDN and AMANDA_SSH
>> the default, perhaps without even an option, because I now of no good
>> reason why they should ever be off.
>
> At the very least they should be converted to the option framework.

Agreed, but better still to just remove choices that no one wants.

> Just guessing, but how does amanda behave on a host without FQDN when
> compiled with that option?

I am not quite sure; it seems obvious to me that always using FQDNs is
the right thing to do :-)