Re: Half-installed packages

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:36:27PM +0100, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> I think this points to a lack of robustness in the package tools,
> perhaps first and foremost in that pkg_add should not half-add a package
> if something goes amiss during installation, but also that pkg_delete
> ought to be able to cope with this sort of problem.

I think you are confusing an important part here. pkg_add is not used
for non-destdir installation, so it simply can't avoid/fix that issue.
The only situation in which a reasonable current pkg_add should leave an
uninstallable package in /var/db/pkg is when you reboot at the wrong
time. There is a small window for that. pkg_delete doesn't and IMO
shouldn't cope with that as it is a sign that your tree is quite
corrupt, so every assumption it make can be a bad one.

Joerg