Re: pkgsrc performance

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:13:59PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:49:46PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > Not knowing what you've straced there, reading the same file 12000 times
> > sounds insane.
>
> bsd.(fast.)prefs.mk is included all over the place. The fast version
> exists simply to not have to check for the include guards all over the
> place, but still minimize parse time. It is 8 lines long, including 5
> lines of unparsed noise. So it adds only a few system calls, but
> otherwise doesn't contribute to parse time.

Even make itself parses unwanted parts of .if reasonbly quickly - a lot
faster than it use to.

I remember now that I was seeing 400 forks/sec as well.
Didn't track them down, but some of those makefiles do keep running
bits of shell.

There is a funny shell script as well, that checks the output of
some other 'x'make - that gets run a lot of times.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost