Adrian Portelli <> writes:

> I was just trying to figure out why we nuke PKG_CONFIG_PATH and offer no
> customisation of it ?

I think this follows from the general notion that pkgsrc builds should
be repeatable and independent of the user's environment.

> In mk/tools/ we kill PKG_CONFIG_PATH and hard set
> PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR.  Unless I'm missing something this totally closes out
> any option of customising the path that pkg-config can find .pc files on.

agreed - but I think it's intentional

> On OpenSolaris a number of .pc files are supplied with the base OS which
> I'd like to use.  Ideally I'd just like to be able to do a
> CONFIGURE_ENV+=       PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig so it picks up e.g.
> openssl.

Ideally this one file would get buildlinked into the pkg-config
buildlink directory after being found by a file after the
dependency was expressed normally and the builtin version found to be

> As a hack I suppose I could just ${CP} the .pc file from the base OS
> into the pkg-config path but that just seems ugly to me.

agreed; seems like asking for trouble