I was just trying to figure out why we nuke PKG_CONFIG_PATH and offer no
customisation of it ?

In mk/tools/ we kill PKG_CONFIG_PATH and hard set
PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR.  Unless I'm missing something this totally closes out
any option of customising the path that pkg-config can find .pc files on.

On OpenSolaris a number of .pc files are supplied with the base OS which
I'd like to use.  Ideally I'd just like to be able to do a
CONFIGURE_ENV+= PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig so it picks up e.g.

Is there any reason why we do this ?

As a hack I suppose I could just ${CP} the .pc file from the base OS
into the pkg-config path but that just seems ugly to me.