destdir documentation a bit unclear

  5.3. Variables affecting the installation process

  DESTDIR support changes the behaviour of various targets slightly. To
  install a package after building it, use package-install. package and
  install don't do that any longer. package-install can be used as
  DEPENDS_TARGET. bin-install will ask for the root password to install
  the package and fail, package-install will ask again.

This doesn't explain if package-install is usable in non-destdir mode,
and will result in both an installed package and a binary package.  I am
not trying to fix this because I don't really understand the destdir
details.