Checking USE_BUILTIN.openssl

I need to a check in to see if USE_BUILTIN.openssl is set to
"yes" or "no" as it changes that way that --with-openssl should be
called.  If I do a 'bmake show-var VARNAME=USE_BUILTIN.openssl' I get
back a 'yes' so I know it's working OK.  But if I put a

.if ${USE_BUILTIN.openssl} == "yes"

In the a bmake gets me a "Malformed conditional" and "Need an
operator".  The only way I've seen to fix this is to add the following
lines before the check:

.  include "../../security/openssl/"

I've used this in two packages now (inspircd/mysql5-client) and it works
fine (but pkglint does complain :)).  Is this the right way to be
checking the value of USE_BUILTIN.openssl or am I missing something more
obvious ?