Re: a gentle way to enforce the installation of configuration files into ${PREFIX}/share/examples

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:00:52PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:37:05PM +0100, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> > The FreeBSD people seem to take a different approach in order to solve
> > that problem---they simply break out of $PREFIX with a PLIST entry like
> > the following one:
> >
> >     @cwd /etc
> >

> > Would that be possible in pkgsrc too? If yes, is it desirable to use
> > something like that?
>
> No. @cwd is only supported *once* as it is a completely bogus feature
> and breaking more things than it is solving.

Well, it's all history now, but that wasn't the reason we got rid of a
user-specified @cwd.  (We did that for the first iteration of
pkgviews, which places it around 7 years ago).  And last I looked,
pkg_install used a single @cwd under the hood to specify the package's
prefix.

But I consider the config file framework that pkgsrc uses to be far
superior to just copying files to a separate prefix, since the pkgsrc
method preserves configuration files which have been modified when
a package is removed.

Regards,
Alistair