Re: suggested pkglint change: error on missing comment for patch

In article <> Bernd wrote:
: On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 02:47:51AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
: > On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 07:39:28PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
: >  > I'd like pkglint to report errors from now on if a patch doesn't have
: >  > a comment.
: >  >
: >  > The comment should be one of:
: >  > . upstream bugtracker link for bug report associated with this patch
: >  > . upstream scm link, if patch is from (newer) upstream
: >  > . comment explaining why this patch is needed for portability but not
: >  >   fed upstream
: >
: > While this is in general a good idea, I have some reservations.
: >
: > Most packages probably don't have formal upstream bugtrackers. So I
: > don't think you can enforce anything more than "some text"; maybe
: > that's enough to accomplish something useful, maybe not.
: >
: > Plus as things stand you need one comment per patch hunk, not one
: > comment per file, because unrelated changes to the same source file go
: > into the same patch file.
: >
: > Also, it's probably better not to introduce any new barriers to fixing
: > broken packages.
: [..]

: Having no comment what this patch should fix makes it nearly impossible
: for some patches to update a package. A cvs log doesn't reveal why
: it was done, because it was either added in the first import or part
: of a normal update without beeing mentioned.
: So at least add a comment why this patch has to be modified.

  Also, add a comment mentioning the status with regard to sending the
patch upstream.  Could basically be one of the following three:

(1) pkgsrc only patch, not needed upstream (e.g. adapt to our build structure)
(2) sent (including bug tracker id if available)
(3) not yet sent

  So the additional barrier (add a one line comment) is minimal, and
we at least know which patches still need to be sent.  We should
probably formalize (3) above so we can grep for it.