Re: How to bump PKGREVISION in HEAD and STABLE individualy?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:55:50AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> "OBATA Akio" <obache%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > About PR pkg/39773, it should be fixed by adding dependency on p5-version.
> > Then we must bump PKGREVISION, but how?
> >
> > 0.710.08nb1 can not be used, because it is already used in HEAD
> > for perl dependency bumped to perl-5.10.0.
> > 0.710.08nb2 should not be used, because it is not newer than nb1 in HEAD.
>
> Without thinking too much, bump head to nb3 and stable to nb2?

In the past we have generally not cared about such version differences between
stable and HEAD branches.  For example if you set the revision numbers like
you suggest here, you'd have to keep track of it very carefully if eg. the
package is later updated to a newer version and this new version is pulled up
to the stable branch because it fixes a security issue.  Normally they then
just get the same version number on both branches, even if the packages are
not equal.

        Geert

PS: I'm not saying this is the ideal situation, I'm just describing the
current situation.