Re: [announcement] distbb - new tool for DISTrbuted Bulk Builds!

 >> I've made my own tool for a distributed bulk builds, distbb.
 >> It is available as a package wip/distbb.
 >>
 >> Key features:
 >>    - several packages can be built at the same time on different
 >>      machines or chroots
 >>    - there is no limit on a number of building nodes
 >>    - ready for bulk builds with DESTDIR enabled
 >>    - logs are better than pbulk's (inspired by Hubert's bulk build)
 >>    - no pbulk-like "surprizes" like pkg/36985, pkg/37100, pkg/37700 etc.
 >>
 >> Example bulk build result:
 >> http://www.mova.org/~cheusov/pub/pkgsrc-pbulk/Debian-etch/current/log/20080404.1726/META/report.html
 >>
 >> I think distbb is in beta stage.
 >> So, bug reports, suggestions, questions etc. are welcome, as always.

> Is there a summary somewhere of the relative strengths and weaknesses
> of this approach versus pbulk?  While I think competition is a good
> thing, I also hope we don't let one bitrot.

As of distbb-0.6.2 and pkg_summary-utils-0.4.5 failures of
pkg_update_src_summary (close to "scanning" phase in terms of pbulk)
are logged and reported like the following

http://mova.org/~cheusov/pub/pkgsrc-pbulk/NetBSD/current-destdir/log/20080413.1013/META/build_src_summary_log.txt

Of course, link to these failures is available from top-level
report.html. How pbulk works in such situation - see
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=37699

Also see
   http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=37100
and
   http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=37700
"Resolving" stage failures are also "fatal" for pbulk.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.