Re: [RFC] PLIST feature to simplify conditionals

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:21:01AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> > In the PLIST, you can then have:
> >
> > ${PLIST.pam}lib/security/pam_winbind.so
> > ${PLIST.nss)lib/nss_winbind.so
>
> As I said some time ago, prefixing path part with a variable loses
> grep'ability.  I still think the syntax like distrib/sets/lists would
> be better.
>
> lib/security/pam_winbind.so   pam
> lib/nss_winbind.so            nss

I'm not sure we lose grep-ability, since the string is still there.
We may lose the beginning-of-line anchored regexp functionality, but
I can't remember ever using that - if others do use that feature,
I'm sure they'll speak up.

Overall, though, having conditional PLIST entries is something I
would really like to see, since we do it piecemeal for operating
systems, options and for other things.

Doing these piecemeal operations in a standard, coherent way would
be a big win.

Regards,
Alistair